Toggle Contrast

Reporting Concerns

Safeguarding is everybody’s business. If you are concerned that someone with care and support needs, is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect, then you must report this.

You can find out more about different types of abuse and neglect here.

If you are not sure whether abuse or neglect is taking place you can consult the Sussex Safeguarding Adults Thresholds Guidance. This provides a brief description of the various categories of abuse and neglect with examples in each category. It also includes alternative actions that can be considered if abuse or neglect is not taking place.

This guidance is designed to be used by professionals, alongside internal policies and procedures and the Sussex Safeguarding Adults Policy and Procedures to support decision-making.


If you are concerned about an adult experiencing, or at risk of abuse and neglect, in Brighton and Hove please contact Brighton and Hove City Council’s Health and Adult Social Care.



or phone 01273 295555

If you would like to request information, advice, assessment or support for an adult who appears to have care and support needs: Adult Social Care hub (

If you have concerns about an adult expressing suicidal ideation: Help in a mental health emergency (

Acts of abuse may constitute a criminal offence. If you think a crime has taken place, but it is not an emergency, please call Sussex Police on 101.

However, if it is an emergency, stay safe and call 999.


If you suspect or believe a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm, including any form of mistreatment or abuse, or if you are concerned about your own behaviour and need advice or support – please contact the Front Door for Families (previously the MASH) by calling (01273) 290400 or emailing

You can also use the Online Referral Form to make a Child Protection Referral to the Front Door for Families.