Physical abuse includes assault, hitting, slapping, pushing, misuse of medication restraint or inappropriate physical sanctions.
Indicators of physical abuse may include:
- Any injury not fully explained by the history given
- Injuries inconsistent with the lifestyle of the adult
- Bruises and/or welts on face, lips, mouth, torso, arms, back, buttocks, thighs
- Clusters of injuries forming regular patterns
- Burns, especially on soles, palms or back: friction burns, rope or electrical appliance burns
- Multiple fractures, bleeding, slap marks, finger marks
- Lacerations or abrasions to mouth, lips, gums, eyes, genitalia
- Injuries at different stages of healing
- Medication misuse
- Fear or emotional distress.